Friday 3 May 2013

Drugstore Favourites


After watching fashionista804 's MAC starter kit it inspired me to do one of my own and what I would recommend and some cheaper alternatives that I swear by as well.






See recommendations...



Moisturizer:

I have tried MAC Oil Control Lotion ($18CAD) years ago and don't remember being overly impressed it but it did that job and it was decently priced for a high school student. I loved that it came with a pump and it did control my oil and break outs back in the days. Unfortunately, I have not tried any of their other skincare products.



For a cheaper alternative:

Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream $16.50CAD but they alway have specials

- Cetaphil Moisturizer @ Walmart



- Olay complete moisturizer (which has different formulation for different skin types $10CAD at Walmart)

I also frequent Winners in my area and sometimes I get good deals on US brands or on brands like ROC.

Primer:

Unfortunately I do not have a MAC or drugstore primer that I love and use but I do recommend the Cover Fx Primer which can be found at Sephora & Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada. $33CAD I don't alway use primers either due to laziness and it does not usually make a big different to my makeup applications. I have used MAC's matte primer which they have now discontinued; but it was so so. I have tried the Smashbox Photofinish Foundation Primer $36USD and was not overly impress with it.




To be honest, I am not sure how good primer use or I have not found one that is worth the mention. I have been meaning to try Benefit's POREfessional & Tarte's Clean Slate primer





Foundation:
MAC Face & Body Foundation. $32CAD I have this is C4 (I am a NC35-37). One of the first MAC foundation I got and I adore this because it comes in a big plastic bottle and it is super light for those that prefer a lighter formula, but still want some decent coverage. In my opinion, this is similar to MUFE face and body foundation because they both have a gel consistency and you have to shake it before use.

Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation $12.99CAD Video review from ITSJUDYTIME; what a mouth full. This is the best drugstore foundation, close second to Revlon Colourstay Foundation. This is very new and it does what it advertises, it is lighter formula than Revlon and it stays put all day and it gives me a even canvas. 


Eye Primer:

This is very important if you are to do any form of eyeshadow regardless if you are using cream/powder; this will make a huge different to the longevity and colour of your look.  Lots of guru swear by Painterly Paint Pot $21CAD but I am not wow by it because my dried out quickly and I find it too drying on my delicate eyes and prefer something with a softer application that will dry to a powder finish. I love the Too Faced Shadow Insurance $22CAD and it is what I used on a daily basis especially for those long 12 hours shift. I have also used the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion $20USD and I personally prefer the Too Faced one much better.

For a cheaper alternative:

- ELF mineral eyeshadow primer $3 USD

- Milani primer is a great option as well $6.49 USD (Cherry Culture)

- Maybelline's 24hr tattoo makes for great bases and primer as well


Eyeshadows:

- Satin Taupe

- Copperplate

- Rice Paper

**********

For a cheaper alternative:

- Wet n Wild eyeshadow trios $3CAD which have amazing pigmentation (I especially love Walking on Eggshell & Silent Treatment)




- Maybeline eyeshadow less than $6CAD with a variety of colour ranges

- NYX eyeshadow singles, don't like the trios as much and find that their colour isn't as pigmented (dark brown is a nice colour for dark brows & crease work) $5.50 USD



Eyeliners

MAC Fluidline in blacktrack $19CAD hereThis will require a brush for application but this is for those who like the finish of pencil liners but wants it to last all day. I prefer to use my with a fine tip brush which makes it similar to a liquid liner. 


MAC's liquidlast in Pointblack $23CAD here. This is similar to Milani Infinite liquid eyeliner but with less product. This has a thicker consistency and once you get this on, it will not budge. In my opinion, Milani version is the exact same thing for half the price with more product and it even comes in 5 shades. 

These are my top picks from MAC, they both last forever on the eyelid and it's what I wear if I go clubbing or a long 12 hr shift at work. 

Cheaper Alternatives:

Milani Infinite Eyeliner (Swatches & review from Makeup & Beauty Blog) $6.99CAD at Superstore. This eyeliner is no joke, I can wear it all shift and it won't budge at all and I often have to go back with a eye makeup remover over after using my Shu Uemera cleansing oil. This has a brush tip which can be difficult for beginners and it has a thicker consistency which can take a little more time in application but once this bad boy is on its on for GOOD. This is tough stuff. 

Jordana Fabuliner $2.99USD @ Walgreen / Cherry Culture (Review) This one is not water resistant but it is a great eyeliner for day to day wear with no fuss.

Mascaras: 

I have yet to find a mascara from MAC that I enjoy and I don't believe in spending so much money on mascara either since you're suppose to toss them very frequently. I much prefer to try a variety of different ones from the drugstore. 


L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensin $12.99CAD @ Walmart (Review from Musing with a muse) - I only buy waterproof version because I hate it when it smudges on the bottom lashes and they hold a curl much better. This has a bendable soft rubber applicator with small bristles that coats every last; no clumping. This is quite pricey for drugstore but I love it cause there is no smudging & my lashes look super long!!

Covergirl Lash Blast $7.99CAD @ Walmart.  There is a variety of different versions, but I've only tried this one in waterproof. This has a thick chunky applicator with rubber bristles. 
Maybelline Falsies $5.99CAD @ Walmart. I love all Maybelline mascaras because they are so good for their price and I can try a bunch of different ones for the price of one department store one. They also have a variety of different versions and the Falsies is my favourite and if you catch it on sale, you can pick it up for $4.99CAD. 

Eyebrows:


My favourite $3.99CAD. I got mine from Walmart way back when but I have not seen it there since but you can find it online still. This is the best thing ever invented. It comes with a wax to keep you hair in place and there is also 2 shades within each kit and there are 2 kits in total. I have the ash brown which is perfect for those with dark brown / black hair. I prefer darker eyebrows since I destroyed my sparse eyebrow as a young child. <3

Maybelline's Define a Brow pencil $5.99CAD. This is for when I am in a rush and I need colour or touch up of my brows ASAP. It comes in a variety of shades (I use medium brown) and it has a slight waxy consistency that keeps hair in place and the pigmentation is not too harsh where you really can't mess up with this unless you are stabbing your eyebrows on. It is pricey for the amount of product you get, but I have this in my purse for quick touch ups especially in the summer time. 

Lips:
The infamous Revlon Lip Butters $7.99CAD (Swatches), these are prefect for those that like the natural look but still with a hint of colour. I have never been a big fan of lipstick because I find it a little too harsh. 
Revlon Just Bitten Lipstains. Love the shade honey because it is like my lips but better with a small hint of sheen. 


Hope this helps and if you want a review on any particular products mention please leave a comment below. 


~~~~~Tee hee







No comments:

Post a Comment